Undergraduate Writing Center
WINTER 2015 SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS
Rieber Hall 115 Location (for on-campus residents only)
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 7pm - 9pm
25- and 50-minute appointments available & walk-in appointments subject to availability
Powell Library 228 Location
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 6pm -9pm
50-minute appointments & walk-in appts. available
PRESIDENTS' DAY HOLIDAY SCHEDULE:
Rieber 115 -- CLOSED: Sunday, February 15, 2015; OPEN: Monday, February 16, 2015 Powell 228 -- OPEN: Sunday, February 15, 2015; CLOSED: Monday, February 16, 2015 A61 Humanities -- CLOSED: Monday, February 16, 2015
WALK-IN SERVICES: We have PLFs to work with walk-in students. If there are no appointments available at the time you wish to come in, you are welcome to walk-in and work with a PLF or call us at 310-206-1320.
WALK-IN APPOINTMENT SCHEDULE:
A61 Humanities -- walk-in appts. available everyday all quarter, Mon-Thurs.,10am-6pm; Fri., 10am-3pm Rieber 115 -- walk-in appts. available as follows for dorm residents only:
Tues. & Wed. -- Jan. 14 & 15 thru Mar. 12, 2015
Sun. thru Wed. -- Jan. 25 thru Mar. 12, 2015
Thurs. – Jan. 15 & Jan. 29 thru Mar. 12, 2015
Powell 228 -- walk-in appts. available as follows: Week 4 -- Sun., Jan. 25th thru Wed., Jan. 28th, 6pm -9pm Week 5 -- Sun., Feb. 1st thru Wed., Feb. 4th, 6-9pm
Week 6 -- Sun., Feb. 1st, 6pm-9pm Weeks 8-10 -- Mon., Feb. 23rd thru Thurs., Mar. 12th, 6pm-9pm
Weeks 9-10 -- Sun., Mar. 1st thru Thurs., Mar. 12th, 6pm-9pm
Our Attendance and Cancellation Policies
- APPOINTMENT POLICY: You may schedule up to 2 appointments per week, but not on the same day.
- CANCELLATION: If you need to cancel your appointment, you MUST cancel your appointment 12 hours in advance. You can modify or cancel it online. See “Make An Appointment”.
- BEING LATE: In A61 Humanities, if you are more than TEN minutes late for your appointment, you will lose your session to a student who is waiting. In Rieber 115 and Powell 228, if you are more than FIVE minutes late, you will lose your session to a student who is waiting.
- LOSING WRITING CENTER PRIVILEGES: If you miss or are late for TWO scheduled appointments without cancelling 12 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT, you will not be allowed to schedule an appointment at the Writing Center again during the quarter in which you violate the policy.
- TAKE-HOME EXAM POLICY: We cannot work with you on take-home exams without the express, written consent of the professor who administered the exam.
As part of UCLA Writing Programs, the Undergraduate Student Writing Center’s mission is to enrich the education of undergraduate students in all disciplines through individualized consultations on writing.
Our goal is not only to help students with a particular writing assignment, but also to help them become more effective and confident writers. This means that we work on two levels at once: we help writers 1) to gain insight into how they write most productively and efficiently, and 2) to meet the intellectual and rhetorical demands of specific writing tasks or assignments.
We offer support at any point in the writing process: when writers are starting a writing assignment; after they have written a draft or part of a draft; after they have gotten feedback from a professor or TA and want to begin revising; as they are polishing a paper and want help in learning how to proofread and edit their own writing.
Serving as attentive and experienced readers, peer learning facilitators (PLFs) work collaboratively with writers and tailor sessions to the writers’ needs and concerns. PLFs can help writers discover, explore, and articulate their ideas as well as suggest writing strategies and alternatives for the writer to consider. PLFs can also provide instruction in the conventions of academic writing, appropriate use of sources, and language use and editing strategies. In the end, however, PLFs leave the decisions and actual writing and editing to the writers.